Wednesday, September 26, 2012

tDAR ~ The Digital Archaeological Record


I'll just say it: I really like what tDAR is doing.  From their website they say "tDAR is an international digital archive and repository that houses data about archaeological investigations, research, resources, and scholarship."  Their work represents an international effort including the U.K. based Archaeology Data Service and Digital Antiquity in the U.S. Other players are University of Arkansas, Arizona State University, Pennsylvania State University, Washington State University, SRI Foundation and the University of York. tDAR has a sustainable model for ongoing operation AND for preserving deposited materials into the future.  This is the first repository I have encountered where there is substantial consideration of how changes in technology and in software can affect the future usability of data.  Their approach is to limit the data formats accepted and to use some automated processes to check and migrate files when needed. 

And they will work with a wide variety of materials even with these limits:
I have also been pleased that the tDAR staff have been so helpful and responsive as I ask my questions.  As I proceed with the project for the Cotsen Institute I think tDAR is one of the leading candidates for repository choice.  

No comments: